How to test if a remote control is sending an Infrared (IR) signal
- This Answer is for infrared remote controls with the (IR) mark.
- The (IR) mark is not on Android TV remote controls released in 2016, but they are nonetheless infrared remote controls.
An IR Remote Control sends out a signal using Infrared light. You cannot see this light with your eyes, but by using a digital camera, cell phone camera, or camcorder in camera mode you can see the signal.
To check if your IR Remote is sending a signal, follow the steps below:
- Pick a device to use:
- Digital Camera - turn the camera on.
- Cell Phone with camera - open the camera app.
- Camcorder - turn the camcorder on an set it to Camera mode.
- Point the end of the remote control with the IR emitter at the camera or camcorder lens.
- Look at the viewfinder or LCD screen.
- Press and hold one of the buttons on the remote control.
If the remote control is sending a signal, you should see a light in the viewfinder or cell phone screen when you press buttons on the remote control.
NOTE: Infrared light may not be visible on some smartphones. In that case, check for infrared light using the front-facing camera mode, or if it still cannot be checked, use a digital still camera or other mobile phone.
|If the transmitter is visible||If the transmitter is not visible|
|The remote control is normal.||The battery is dead or the remote control may be damaged.|
Depending on whether the transmitter is visible or not, follow the instructions below:
- If the light of the remote control transmitter is not visible when any button is pressed, there is a possibility the batteries are spent. Switch to new batteries and check whether or not the transmitter lights up.
NOTE: Insert a battery consistent with the + pole and - pole according to the indication.
If the symptoms do not improve, the remote control may be broken.
- You can also test each of the buttons on the remote by pressing them one at a time and checking to see if you see a light from the emitter.
NOTE: If you see a light when no button is pressed, one of the buttons on the remote may be stuck and preventing other buttons from working. If this is the case:
- Remove the batteries.
- Press and release each button a couple of times to see if you can free the stuck button.
- Replace the batteries and test the remote again.
If you continue to see a light when no button is pressed, the remote control may need to be replaced.
- If it does not light up when its specific button is pressed, the button may be broken.