To restore the camera to its original factory settings, you can perform a settings reset.
The process to reset a camera back to the original factory settings differs depending on the type and model of camera. There are three possible methods depending on the camera:
IMPORTANT: Do not to turn off the camcorder while resetting is in progress.
- To determine the reset or initialise method for your camera, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Online manuals can easily be searched for the words "Reset" or "Initialize" to determine the method for your camera.
- If you are using a model that supports the PlayMemories Camera Apps, when performing RESET or Initialize, apps downloaded for the product may be uninstalled. To use these apps again, reinstall them.
- All movies and photos will be kept intact when using RESET or Initialize.
- If an error code beginning with C: or E: is displayed on the camera's LCD display, resetting may not resolve the issue.
- Locate the RESET button on the camera.
- Use a pointed object (like a ballpoint pen) to press and hold the RESET button for 2-3 seconds.
- After 2-3 seconds has elapsed, release the RESET button.
- The menu layout is different between cameras so check the operating instructions.
- In general, there will be a Reset or Initialize section within the menus of the camera.
- Some cameras allow for resetting or initialising different options such as wireless settings, the settings used in taking the last picture, or all settings. Be sure to look at all available options in the product manual.
Cameras manufactured prior to the year 2000 do not have reset buttons or options in the menus. Follow the steps below to reset:
- Turn off the camera.
- Remove the battery pack.
- Remove the button-sized lithium battery.
- Allow the camera to remain without power for 30 seconds.
- Reinsert the button-sized lithium battery.
- Reinsert the battery pack.
- Turn on the camera.
NOTE: For units that has a built in battery and has no reset button, holding down the power button for up to 30 second may initialise or reset some cameras.
- For units that have built in battery and have no reset button, holding down the Power button for up to 30 seconds may initialise or reset the camera.
- A different solution on how to reset or initialize a camcorder back to original factory settings is available.
If your camera is experiencing an issue, and it is not resolved by performing the appropriate reset procedure above, service may be required. If you believe this to be the case, contact us for further assistance.