Turn off Protection by my Xperia and remove any Google accounts before handing in a device for service or repair
Before handing in an Xperia device for repair or service
- Back up any personal data that is saved on the internal memory of your device to a memory card or other non-internal memory.
- When a Sony Mobile repair partner services or repairs your Xperia device, the service technician erases the content on your device.
- Deactivate Protection by my Xperia (not available in the Xperia XZ series or Xperia XA1 Plus and later released models) before sending your device in for service or repair. If Protection by my Xperia is active on the device, the device goes into Lockdown mode, which can prevent the service technician from performing the service or repair.
- After you've deactivated Protection by my Xperia, remove all Google accounts from the device to protect your privacy.
Deactivating Protection by my Xperia
NOTE: The Protection by my Xperia feature is not available in the Xperia XZ series or Xperia XA1 Plus and later released models.
To deactivate Protection by my Xperia
- Make sure you are signed in as the owner, that is, the user who set up the device for the first time.
- Find and tap Settings → Security → Protection by my Xperia.
- Tap Deactivate, then confirm deactivation.
- To complete the procedure, sign in using the Google account that was used to activate the Protection by my Xperia service.
Removing a Google account
Open the expandable section below corresponding to your Xperia device's Android version, to learn how to remove your Google account.
Android 4.4, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1 or 7.1.1