TV screen is completely black or flashing when using a Blu-ray Disc player
This may be an indication that there is a loose connection or an incorrect setting, follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue.
IMPORTANT: This solution assumes the Blu-ray Disc player is connected directly to the TV. However, if the Blu-ray Disc player is connected to an Audio/Video (A/V) receiver, the steps given below about the TV should also be followed for the A/V receiver.
NOTE: If model-specific information is needed to complete any of the steps, refer to the instructions supplied with the product.
- Make sure the TV is set to the correct video input to receive the signal from the Blu-ray Disc player.
NOTE: Depending on the remote control for your TV, the remote may have a TV/VIDEO or INPUT button that can change the video input.
- Turn off all the devices in the system (TV, Blu-ray Disc player, etc.) and try disconnecting and firmly reconnecting all the cables.
- If the issue is still not resolved, try lowering the output resolution:
On the front of the Blu-ray Disc player, press and hold the STOP button for just over 10 seconds.
NOTE: Some TVs connected with an HDMI cable may not support a 1080p signal. If the Blu-ray Disc player is outputting a 1080p signal, lowering the output resolution may resolve the issue.
- On the Blu-ray Disc player remote control, press the MENU button to display the menu. If the menu of the Blu-ray Disc player does not appear, skip to step 8. Otherwise, continue with the steps below.
- Make sure the video output setting of the Blu-ray Disc player is either set to Auto or to the type of connection being used.
- If using an HDMI connection make the following changes:
NOTE: The steps below are not available on all Blu-ray Disc players.
- In the Screen/Video Settings setup, set the BD/DVD ROM 1080/24P output to off.
- Set the HDMI Deep Color output to off.
- Set the X.V. Color output to off (this option is not available on some models).
- Make sure that the HDMI control setting is set to Off. If using a non-Sony Blu-ray Disc player, this setting may be called CEC control or the AnyNet function.
- Check for and attempt to install any firmware/software updates.
- If the issue is not resolved, try replacing the cable between the Blu-ray Disc player and TV.
If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. Please contact Sony.