About this download
We recommend you use the internet to update if you can. If not, you can use this method instead. You'll download the update to your computer, burn it to a blank disc, then transfer it to your Blu-ray player.
We recommend the following operating systems: Windows® Vista®, Windows® XP, Windows® 7, Windows® 8 or Windows® 8.1.
How to make sure the update goes smoothly
Updating is usually very simple. Here's how you can make sure it works first time:
- Read the instructions carefully or you could end up damaging your Blu-ray player.
- Don't turn the Blu-ray player off - or disconnect it from the power - while it's updating.
- Don't press any buttons, except the ones mentioned in the instructions.
Download the update to your computer:
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions
- Download the file UPDATA_M09R0070.ZIP to your computer - remembering which directory you download it to.
- Find the file on your computer, right-click on it and click Properties. Check the size is 70.4 MB (73,843,525 bytes).
Create the disc:
- Extract the file to your computer. The extracted files are called MSB09-FW.BIN and MSB09-FW.ID
- Write the files MSB09-FW.BIN and MSB09-FW.ID to a blank recordable CD. Using CD burning software? Select universal disc UDF format (UDF).
Use of the ISO9660 format may result in an incorrect update disc.
Transfer the update to your player
First get the equipment ready, then transfer the update to your player.
Get the equipment ready:
- Turn on your TV and check it's tuned to the input your Blu-ray player is connected to. (So if the player is connected to the HDMI 2 socket, choose HDMI 2 as the input.)
- Turn on the Blu-ray player.
- Put the disc in the player, and close the disc tray.
Transfer the update:
- After the disc loads, you see the message Perform version update? is displayed on the TV.
- Select OK using the remote control, and then press ENTER.
- The update starts.
- During the update, you see the message "*/9"on the TV. The * changes to 0 and goes up to 9 during the update process.
- When the disc tray opens and the player automatically turns off, the update is complete. Don't use or turn off the player until the update is complete.
- Take the update disc out of the player and turn on the player.
- Check the firmware version. If the version number is M09.R.0070, the firmware update was successful.
What to do if you have problems updating your Blu-ray player firmware using your PC and a disc.
- The update disc will not eject.
Follow these steps:
- Turn off the player and disconnect the AC power cord.
- Reconnect the AC power cord while pressing down Open/Close button on the player - not on the remote control.
- Keep pressing down Open/Close button on the player until the tray opens.
- Take the disc out.
- The power went off while the update was in progress
Turn the player on keeping the update disc in the tray. The update will restart automatically.
- The UPDATA_M09R0070.ZIP update file I downloaded from the update web site cannot be extracted.
Did you download the file successfully? Try deleting the file and downloading it again.
- The update has been going for over 30 minutes and hasn't finished
- Disconnect the AC power cord from the mains, then reconnect it after several minutes.
- Turn on the Blu-ray Disc player.
- Try the disc update procedure again.
Still not working? Please contact Sony Customer Support