About this download
If you successfully upgraded your Blu-ray player using the "Network upgrade" you don't need to apply this procedure.
If this is not your BD player model please click here to select the correct model.
- This utility is only for use with the Blu-ray players sold within Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.
- Please follow the upgrade instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may interrupt the upgrade process and may cause the player to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- Do not power off the player or disconnect it from the AC power outlet. Loss of power during the installation of the firmware upgrade may cause the player to be unresponsive or to require repair.
- Your Blu-ray player will be reset to the factory default settings. After installing the upgrade you will need to reconfigure your player.
- Use a brand new recordable CD-R disc to burn the firmware upgrade. The player may not be able to correctly read a dirty disc or a disc with scratches.
- Recommended operating system for the computer that will download the firmware upgrade:
- Windows® Vista®, Windows® XP, or Windows® 7 is recommended.
- You need a computer with a CD writer.
Check the player firmware version:
- Power on the television and make sure it is tuned to the inputs to which the Blu-ray player is connected.
- Power on the Blu-ray Disc™ player.
- If the player starts to play a disc, press the "STOP" button and wait until the blue Sony Blu-ray Disc™ screen is displayed on the television before proceeding.
- At the "xross media bar™" (XMB™), use the arrow keys on the remote control to highlight "Setup" > "System Settings" and then press the ENTER button.
- Use the arrow keys on the remote control to highlight "System Information" and then press the ENTER button.
- The firmware version currently installed on the Blu-ray will be listed like below on the television screen:
SOFTWARE VERSION XX.X.011
If the version number is 011 or higher, it is not necessary to install this firmware upgrade.
Download procedure :
- Download the UPDATA_11x011.ZIP file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
- Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and verify that the size of the UPDATA_11x011.ZIP file is 50,434,723 bytes.
- Right-click the UPDATA_11x011.ZIP file, and click "Properties".
- On the " UPDATA_11x011.ZIP Properties" screen, verify that the "Size:" listed is "48 MB (50,434,723 bytes)".
- Extract the UPDATA_11x011.ZIP file to the location of your choice.
- The extracted files will be named "BD11-VUD.BIN" and "SONY-VUD.ID"
- To create the firmware upgrade disc, write the decompressed files ("BD11-VUD.BIN" and "SONY-VUD.ID") to the root of a CD-R.
- When using a DVD/CD burning software please select UDF format.
- Make sure that the disc is finalized.
- Make sure the disc creation was correctly done without any error. In case of doubt, recreate a new upgrade disc.
- Do not create the upgrade disc using another process than the one described above.
Firmware upgrade procedure:
- Do not turn off the player or disconnect the player from the power supply during the upgrade process. Doing so may damage your player and make it unusable, and would require a repair of the player.
- Do not press any button, except as instructed, until the upgrade is complete. Doing so may damage your player and make it unusable, and would require a repair of the player.
- Before you start:
- Power on the television and make sure it is tuned to the inputs to which the Blu-ray Disc player is connected.
- Power on the Blu-ray Disc player.
- Place the upgrade disc in the player, and close the disc tray.
- Performing the upgrade:
- After the disc is loaded, the message, "Perform version update?" is displayed on the television.
- Use the remote control to select "OK", and then press the ENTER button.
- The upgrade starts and "VUP" appears on the player front panel display. (The TV screen will turn black.)
- A series of different messages will appear on the front panel display.
- The firmware upgrade is complete when "FINISH" appears on the player front panel display.
Do not operate or power off the player until this message is displayed. Doing so may result in your player being unresponsive and requiring repair.
- Remove the upgrade disc from the player.
- Power on the BD player and perform EASY SETUP according to the indication that will appear on the screen.
- Check the firmware version. If the version number is 011, the firmware upgrade was successful.
Possible issues related to the Upgrade disc method
The Upgrade Disc does not eject
If the upgrade disc does not eject even though "FINISH" is displayed, please follow the steps below.
- Turn off the player, and disconnect the AC power cord.
- Reconnect the AC power cord while pressing down "Open/Close" button on the player.
- Keep pressing down "Open/Close" button on the player until the tray opens.
- Remove the disc
Please note that pressing the "Open/Close" button on the remote control does not work. It is necessary to press the "Open/Close" button on the Blu-ray player.
"SYS ERR" or "VUP NG" is displayed on the player front panel display.
- Push and hold the "POWER" button for several seconds until the unit power is off.
- Push the "POWER" button again to continue the firmware upgrade procedure.
- If the symptom does not improve after re-upgrade, remove the upgrade disc from the player and delete the upgrade files from your computer.
- Download the upgrade again and follow the entire procedure above to create a new upgrade disc and install the firmware upgrade.
- If the problem continues, please contact Sony.
"VUP" is not displayed on the player front panel display when the upgrade disc is inserted.
Remove the upgrade disc from the player and delete the upgrade files from your computer. Download the upgrade again and follow the entire procedure above to create a new upgrade disc and install the firmware upgrade.
POWER was shut down while updating.
Power on the player again keeping the upgrade disc in the tray. The upgrade should restart automatically.
The UPDATA_11x011.ZIP upgrade file I downloaded from the upgrade web site cannot be extracted.
The download may have failed. Delete the downloaded file and download the upgrade file again.
The firmware upgrade does not finish, after running for more than 30 minutes.
Please contact Sony.