IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Performing a software repair
If you have a problem with your phone or tablet, first restart the device. If restarting the device doesn't help, you should try a software update. If a software update doesn't solve the problem, the next step is a factory data reset or a software repair.
Important information before you perform a software repair
- All data will be deleted from the device internal storage when you perform a software repair. Photos, videos, music and documents stored on an external SD card are not deleted. If possible, make sure that you back up the data stored on the internal storage that you want to keep before performing a software repair.
- Make sure that you know your Google account username and password. Depending on your security settings, your Xperia device may lock after a repair procedure. You then need to enter your Google account username and password in order to use the device.
- If you don't remember your Google account username and password, you cannot unlock the device yourself. You can, however, try to recover your Google account username and password using the Google Account Recovery page. If you still can't reactivate your device, contact us.
- From version 1.9.2, Xperia Companion checks if communication with the Xperia device is possible over MTP. If so, the device is still on (and charging) while the software is downloaded and after that, the update engine/repair is started. This lessens the chance of the device discharging during the repair.
How to perform a software repair
- Computer: If it is not already installed, download and install the Xperia Companion application.
- Open the Xperia Companion application.
- Under Manage your Xperia, click Software repair.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- NOTE: If your device cannot be detected or started or is a Smartwatch 3, then check the box with this information before you get started.
Tip: You can view a video on how to perform a software repair.
It takes about 10-15 minutes to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion.