Resetting your phone through a forced restart
Sometimes your phone can get stuck: maybe it's caused by an app error, maybe your screen freezes or your phone won't power on.
If your smartphone is unresponsive, you can force your smartphone to restart or shut down. It's a very safe and thorough troubleshooting solution that does not delete any settings or personal data:
- Press and hold the power and the volume up key until your phone vibrates.
- Depending on your situation, you can choose to either force your phone to restart or shut down:
a. To restart, release the keys after your phone vibrates
b. To shut down, continue holding the power and volume up key until your phone vibrates 3 times. Try restarting it again after this forced shut down.
If this method doesn't work, try the 2-minute force restart:
- Press and hold the power and the volume up key for 2 minutes and ignore all the vibrating cues.
- Release the keys. Your phone will turn off automatically.
- Start charging your phone until you see the charging icon on the screen.
- Try restarting your phone after performing this procedure.
Additional troubleshooting tips
- Allow your phone enough time to start. It may take up to 10 seconds before the device vibrates.
- Ample charging: if your phone battery is completely drained for some reason, it may take up to 30 minutes for your phone to respond to the charging. During this wait, the screen remains dark, and you won't see the charging icon. It's important to remember that it can take up to 4 hours for a drained battery to charge fully.
- Original UBS-cable: If you have trouble charging your device, start by making sure you use an original Sony charger and a USB cable specifically intended to charge your phone. However, if nothing seems to be working, try to charge the device with a different USB cable connected to the USB port of a computer to check if you have an issue with the cable or charger.
- Remove the memory card: if removing the memory card solves the issue, your SD card may be damaged. In this case, you need to get a replacement SD card for your device.