How to perform a software update on your Android TV or Google TV?
IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
To make the most out of your Android TV or Google TV, you should make sure to always keep it up to date with the latest firmware and software updates from Sony and Google. Updates for your TV will include key features and applications, as well as bug fixes and feature improvements.
Before you start
- Your TV must be connected to the Internet through a wired or wireless network to perform system updates.
- Alternatively, you can download the updates to a USB flash drive and install the update on the TV via USB. To update via USB, skip to Section 3. Download and install updates using a USB flash drive.
- If you're unsure what TV type you have, please visit How to check if your BRAVIA TV is a Google TV, Android TV™, or other TV.
- The screenshots provided in this article are for reference only. The actual screen might differ slightly according to your country, TV model or firmware version.
- You can find new and previous benefits of each software update on the software download page.
Table of contents
- Check if updates are available for your TV
- Download and install updates directly from the Internet
- Download and install updates using a USB flash drive
1. Check if updates are available for your TV
Receive software updates automatically
To receive software updates, make sure the Automatically check for update or Automatic software download setting on your TV is turned ON.
For Google TV models and some Android TVs released between 2018 and 2020 (listed below)
Is your TV checking for updates automatically?
Follow these steps to check whether the Automatically check for update or Automatic software download setting is turned ON or OFF:
Important notice for TVs other than Google TV & some Android TV models
- Make sure the Automatic software download setting is set to ON by pressing the HELP button on the remote control → System software update → Automatic software download.
- Manually check for updates once by pressing the HELP button on the remote control → System software update → Software update.
2. Download and install updates directly from the Internet
If an update is available, the download procedure will be the following:
For Google TV models and some Android TVs released from 2018 to 2020 listed below
3. Download and install updates using a USB flash drive
Before you begin
If your TV doesn't have Internet access and/or you wish to perform the update manually, you can do so using a USB flash drive by downloading the update from Sony's support website. Please keep the following things in mind:
- The USB flash drive must meet the following conditions:
- The drive must be formatted in FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, or NTFS
- The drive will need to have sufficient free space for the update file
- The update file must be saved in the root directory of the drive
- The update can fail even when using a USB flash drive that meets the above conditions, depending on the size and directory structure of other files on the drive. If the update does fail, delete other files and try again with only the update file saved on the USB flash drive. If the update still fails, format the USB flash drive to FAT32 and try again.
Update your TV using a USB flash drive
To update using a USB flash drive, proceed as follows:
- Go to Sony's support website.
- Type your TV model name in the search box, then click the Search button.
If you do not know your TV's model name, please check the sticker at the lower-left corner of your TV's back panel. For other options, visit Where to find the model name and serial number?
- Select the Downloads tab, then click on the firmware update you wish to install.
- Follow the instructions on the website to download the update to your USB flash drive, then perform the update on your TV.
Firmware update problems?
Should you experience any problems after the firmware/software update, we suggest you try the following:
- Perform a power cycle by unplugging the AC power cord for 5 minutes and then re-inserting the power cord.
- Complete a factory reset. How to restart, power reset or set the Android TV or Google TV back to original factory settings.
- The screenshots provided here are for reference only. The actual screen might differ slightly according to your country, model or firmware version.
- For Android Oreo (OSV-O), the Settings icon is located in the top right-hand corner.
*Google, Android and Android TV are trademarks of Google LLC.