IMPORTANT: This article applies only to specific products and/or operating systems. Check Applicable Products and Categories for details.
Try the following steps to extend your Walkman's battery life.
- Depending on the model, some of the modes or the settings listed below may not be available. For details, refer to the manual supplied with the product. Manuals are posted on the support website.
- Try to use settings that prevent battery drain only when you need them.
- For the NW-A100/ZX500 series and the NW-WM1AM2 and NW-WM1ZM2 models, please refer to our tips to maximise battery life.
How to expand your Walkman's battery life
Change settings to reduce battery consumption
- Setting a shorter time for the Screen Off Timer (e.g. 30 or 15 seconds) expands battery life.
- Setting the brightness level of the screen to 3 expands the battery life by approximately 40% compared to brightness level 5, as illustrated below.
[A]: Battery duration
[B]: Brightness level 3
[C]: Brightness level 5
- Setting the noise-canceling function to Off expands the battery life by approximately 20% compared to when it's set to On.
- Setting the Bluetooth setting to Prioritize Connection expands the battery life by approximately 25% compared to the Prioritize Sound Quality setting.
Be aware of settings that consume more power
- Setting Playback speed (DPC) to x2.0 consumes the battery approximately 70% faster than Off.
- Using Equalizer, VPT(Surround), DSEE(Sound Enhance), Clear Stereo and Dynamic Normalizer consumes the battery approximately 50 % faster than not using them.
- Playing back music files of high-definition music sources, such as High-Resolution Audio files, consumes more power than playing back low-definition music sources, such as MP3 files.
When the battery life reduces to half of that mentioned in the supplied manual, even though you have tried the methods above, the battery may need to be replaced.
NOTE: You cannot replace the battery by yourself since the Walkman needs to be disassembled to replace the battery.
Walkman battery life in cold conditions
In cold environments, chemical reactions become weak and electrical energy lowers. The battery cannot be fully charged in a cold environment. Even if you fully charge the battery in a warmer environment, the battery life shortens when you use it in a cold environment. (If you return to a warm environment, the battery life returns to normal.)
Battery Care mode & how to reduce battery deterioration
Some Walkman models are compatible with the Battery Care mode function. Battery Care mode is the function that reduces deterioration of the battery by not charging the battery fully (100 % of full charge). When this function is activated, charging stops at about 90 % of the full charge. In the Battery Care mode, the first bar of the battery indicator will disappear somewhat more quickly than normal.