Attention: If your phone gets exposed to water, ensure that the USB port is completely dry before inserting a USB cable.
- Make sure that the screen of your device is unlocked, and that File Transfer is selected as the [Use USB for] setting under USB Preferences.
How to set [Use USB for] to File transfer
- Make sure that your device is connected to a computer using a USB cable.
- From your Home screen, drag the status bar downwards.
- Find and tap [Android System] next to the USB icon.
- Tap [Tap for more options], and then select File Transfer.
- Make sure that you are using an original Sony USB Type-C cable specifically intended for your device and that it is properly connected to the phone and computer.
- Try using another USB port on your computer and make sure that the device is connected directly to that USB port. Do not use a USB hub or a USB extension cable.
- Try using a different USB cable to make sure that the cable isn't damaged.
- If you are using a Mac, make sure that Xperia Companion for Mac OS is installed on your computer. Mac computers don’t support MTP, which is an extension needed for file transfer between a computer and an Android device.
- Disconnect your device from the computer and clear the data in the Media Storage system app on your device. Restart your device and connect it back to the computer.
To clear Media Storage application data
Attention: no pictures, music or other media content will be erased from your device when you clear the application data. However, the procedure may result in the loss of related files, such as playlists and music information.
- Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications
- Tap (See all apps icon) to see all applications. Tap (Menu icon), then tap Show system.
- Find and tap Media Storage > Storage > CLEAR DATA > OK .
- If your smartphone has a memory card, turn off the device and then remove and reinsert the memory card.
Restart your computer. Turn on the device and then reconnect the device to the computer using the USB cable
- Try using a different computer
- If you are looking for a USB driver for your smartphone, you can download it here.
- If you are using Windows N or Windows KN, make sure that you have downloaded the Media Feature Pack to enable file transfer. These versions of Windows do not support MTP file transfer.
- Update your device to the latest version to ensure optimal performance and the latest enhancements.