My Xperia smartphone doesn't seem to charge
If the battery is drained, it may take up to 30 minutes for your device to respond to the charging. During this time, the screen may remain completely dark, not showing the charging icon. Also note that it can take up to 4 hours for a completely drained battery to charge fully.
- Try these steps to find out if the problem relates to the charger.
- Make sure that you use an original Sony charger specifically intended for charging your device.
- Use an original Sony charger plugged into a wall socket to charge your device. Your device charges much more slowly when you charge it using a computer and the USB cable.
- Disconnect the USB cable from your device and then plug the cable into the USB port on the device again. Make sure that the charger cable is properly attached to the USB port on your device, with no obstruction such as a protective case. Check that the charger is properly plugged into a wall socket with an active power source.
- Make sure that the charger port is free from lint, dust and moisture. A blocked port can prevent the USB connector from fitting properly, and therefore prevent charging. Ensure that the USB port is completely dry, and gently remove any lint or dust using, for example, a wooden or plastic toothpick or a toothbrush.
- Try to charge your device by connecting another USB cable to the USB port of a computer. If the device starts to charge, this may be a sign that the charger is not working properly. Replace the charger with an original Sony charger specifically intended for your device.
- Turn off your device and then turn it back on. By doing this you turn off all running applications and free up memory, which sometimes automatically solves the issue.
- You can force your device to restart or shut down in situations where it stops responding or won't restart normally. No settings or personal data get deleted during a forced restart.
To force the device to restart or shut down
- If a forced restart procedure doesn't succeed, you should try the 2-minute restart procedure.
- If your device has the Battery Care feature and it is turned on, you may find that the device is not fully charged even after charging for several hours. The Battery Care feature is designed to increase battery lifespan and performance.
To enable or disable Battery Care
- Update your device to ensure that you have optimal performance and the latest enhancements.
- It is recommended to back up and synchronize your important data with a Google account.
- Use the Xperia Companion computer application to perform a software repair to reset your device. Note that all data is deleted from the internal storage of your device when you perform a software repair. Content that you have saved on an external SD card, such as photos, videos and music, is not deleted.
To back up your data using a computer
To back up and synchronize apps, phone settings, and call history