If you have a specific question about privacy, you may find the answer in our Frequently Asked Questions.
What is privacy all about?
Privacy (which is also known as Personal Information Management or PIM) is the discipline of handling personal information in a strictly controlled manner, to meet the following objectives:
- To be transparent about any personal information that is collected and what it will be used for
- To protect the information from accidental or malicious loss, damage, unlawful processing or disclosure
- For legal compliance
Why should I care about privacy?
Your personal information is extremely important and there are a number of threats associated with the inappropriate disclosure and/or use of your information, including:
- Identity theft
According to the UK Fraud Prevention Service (CIFAS), nearly two thirds of all fraud is the direct result of account takeovers, impersonation and the misuse of personal details. To reduce the risks, you must treat your personal information with great care and only disclose it if you feel confident that it will be handled appropriately.
Is my personal information safe with Sony?
While the safety of your personal information can never be 100% guaranteed, we take privacy extremely seriously and adopt many measures to minimise the risks, including:
- We use industry standard technologies to protect our IT systems from accidental or intentional (malicious) mis-use
- We provide privacy training to our staff, to ensure that they understand their responsibilities when handling your personal information, and the correct processes to follow
- We perform risk assessments and privacy impact assessments when starting a new project and when hiring a 3rd party to process personal information on our behalf
What can I do to protect my personal information?
There are a number of measures that you can take to protect your personal information, including:
Use strong passwords for all your online accounts:
- Do not use trivial passwords (such as single dictionary words)
- Do not use the same password for multiple accounts
- Do use very long passwords (at least 10 characters, but preferably much longer)
- Do use passwords which contain a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters e.g. $%^& etc.
- Do keep passwords securely (never written down, or shared with anyone) and changed periodically
Don't automatically trust every web site or email which asks you to provide your personal information. Take time to check that the request is valid, and that the personal information requested is absolutely necessary for the services that you are looking to use
Why has Sony Europe created a privacy portal?
The Sony Europe privacy portal aims to provide one place to find all the information you need about how we handle your personal information. There are a few key objectives:
- Transparency, to make it clear what personal information we collect and how we use it, what we do to protect it, and how you can contact us
- Ease of use, to make it easy for you to find the information that you are looking for
How can I sign up to receive Sony promotions and offers via email?
There are a number of ways to sign up for our exciting newsletters, including:
- Via the MySony website
- When you enter one of our competitions
Note that other Sony group companies will have their own newsletters.
How can I stop Sony from sending me promotions and offers via email?
There are a number of ways to stop us sending you our newsletters, including:
- Via the MySony website
- Clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of one of our emails
You should also note that:
- If you sign up to receive newsletters via more than one email address you will need to unsubscribe for each
- Other Sony group companies will have their own newsletters, for which Sony Europe B.V. is not responsible. To stop receiving their newsletters you will need to contact the company responsible
How do I know who is responsible for looking after my personal information?
The responsibility for your personal information should be made clear when any personal information is collected. If in doubt, contact us and ask.